Friday, March 25, 2011

Tumbled Silver Jewelry


I could not live without my Lortone tumbler! In fact I have two of them. I tumble my jewelry to harden the silver and to give it a beautiful shine. Just remember that all stones cannot go in to the tumbler. Never put in pearls or soft stones. Lampwork and crystals are fine in the tumbler.


This is all you have to do to get a beautiful shine to your jewelry:

Place 1 pound of mixed stainless steel shot into your barrel. Put jewelry into the barrel and fill to just above the steel shot with water. Then add a couple of small squirts of blue Dawn dish soap and a few drops of burnishing compound. I have found that this combination works the best.

5 comments:

  1. i don't know what i did without mine all this time, the place i bought mine said i didn't need the compound does it make a difference? i do use the blue dawn with a drop of ammonia and they come out shiny is that what the compound does amke them shinier? thanks Lana ttfn L:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never put lampwork beads or crystals into my tumbler :O
    That works?! Thank you so much for this information!
    What I know: never put czech glass beads with a finish (f.e. picasso) into the tumbler!!!
    I love my Lortone, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all solutions are compatible with rubber barrels. This applies to Tide, Liquid detergents and other soaps. I do not know how ammonia will effect the rubber. If you ever see any little black pieces floating in the water, I would stop using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine using liver of sulfur without having a tumbler! Now if I could just figure out where I put my burnishing compound when I moved :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking!